Engagement Session Tips and Tricks from a Wedding Photographer
Hi friends, just your favorite Philadelphia Area Wedding Photographer here. I am so thrilled you are taking the time to read this blog, it could be a photo savor! Are you a little stumped on what to wear for your engagement sessions, well these tips and tricks might put you to ease. If you still have questions feel free to just ask me, I love helping my couples pick out the perfect location and outfits for their e-session! As a Bucks County Wedding Photographer here are ideas to make sure you look your best for your engagement shoot.
1.Coordinate don’t match- Find a way to coordinate without looking too “matchy”. While you don’t want to look like twins, you do want the look to feel balanced. One thing to remember is you don’t have to wear the same exact color. The same color family would work well (think pastels, neaturals, jewel tones). Style-wise, make sure you both match the overall “feel” of your look. (i.e. if she wears an elegant dress, then dress him up a little, too.) Check out this pinterest board for ideas- https://pin.it/5P3pw8a
2. Hair/Makeup-This is a great time to have a “trial” with your wedding day makeup artist. Plus, it’s true that a little more dramatic makeup and hair is often needed in photographs (mascara/eyeliner/lashes as well as lipstick/blush). So feel free to kick the beauty enhancements up a notch! Also, it’s not a bad idea to get a manicure. Your new bling will be the star in these pictures
3. Accessories- Planning a fall engagement session, add a plaid blanket scarf. A cute hat can add so much to your outfit or at least give your hands something to hold and play with. A jean jacket is great to add over any outfit to change it up. Leather more your thing, feel free to wear your favorite leather jacket to give off that cool couple look. And did we also mention that whatever layers you take off, like a chunky sweater, denim jacket, or a faux fur coat, can also double as a fun prop for later on in the engagement shoot?
4. Guys- a navy suit will complement your fiance perfectly. Jeans and a suit jacket for a more business casual look. For guys, it’s usually better to wear a belt if you are wearing a nice button-up shirt. Sometimes, if untucked shirts are too big or too wide, they don’t look good and are “boxy.” Fitted shirts and jackets look much better than wide boxy ones. Khakis, clean dark jeans or dress pants are the way to go. Don’t forget to wear clean nice shoes, avoid anything with large logos, or tops that are too busy, we want the attention going to your fiance!
5. Dress it up- Don’t be afraid to get dressy, this is the perfect opportunity to buy that outfit you have been dying to wear. If you're feeling more glamorous, show off your best looks with a fancy cocktail dress. A richly hued party dress is going to look even better next to his black-and-white suit.
6. You do you- Planning to shoot in a rugged terrain (loose soil, gravel, hiking involved) or a place where you’ll be lifted or carried? Think about how your body will look and feel there. Imagine yourself going through the terrain. You won’t want to be wearing a mini-skirt if your partner scoops you up in the air. You want to feel comfortable, too. If boots and jeans are more you, stick with what works. If you want to wear heels in a rugged area, bring a pair of sandals or shoes to walk in.
7. Fit- Pay attention to the fit of your outfit, try it on a few times before hand, walk around in it. Does it feel too big and baggy or maybe too tight? If you are uncomfortable in what you are wearing it with show in your pictures, your outfit should help you feel like a million bucks! Billowy tops and dresses, or anything hanging off your body in too many places can look messy, or make your body look bigger than it is. If you like flowy tops, pair it with skinny jeans, or shorts to balance the look; or if it’s a tulle skirt, pair it with a closer fitting top. From the right angles and in the right weather, a flowy skirt or dress can look amazing.
8. Change it up- It’s generally recommended to bring two different outfits so that you can change for a different location, this also gives you the opportunity for two different looks, maybe dressy and casual? Guys don’t always change their whole outfit, instead they might change only their shirt or jacket.
For some additional help check out this pinterest board. As a Bucks County Wedding Photographer I want to make sure you look and feel your best during your engagement shoot, feel free to pick my brain for ideas, send me your outfit idea and let me help!